Saturday, June 28, 2008

Italia - Part 2....

The rest of the Italy trip was of course as phenomenal as the first part :) After Florence, we got on the bus to San Gimingnano - a gorgeous hilltop town not too far from Siena. The views from there are incredible! We really wanted to take a Brunello de Montalcino wine tour, but unfortunately they are only on certain days and not while we were there, so we took the chianti tour instead. At first we were a little unsure about our guide, but it turned out to be a great day and the region was just beautiful. Think Napa, but on a huge scale with bigger hills. They grow all of their grapes on the hillside so the water will run off. So pretty! I really enjoyed the last winery - a small family run place and the wine was excellent...I will definitely be shipping some home! We met a really nice couple from Australia (we're not sure what's up with us and all of the Australians?!) and ended up continuing the wine tour and having dinner with them - so much fun! The next day we got up and decided to go to Siena for the night since we were so close. The weather was so crappy and we were pretty tired so we just walked around a bit and then went and took much needed naps. We did manage to drag ourselves out of the hotel to grab dinner and watch the Italia game. The next day it was off to Sorrento - the longest bus-train-metro adventure of the trip. I'd been before which made it much easier to manage. So after about 6 long hours, we arrived. The hotel was a little further away from the town than advertised, but it was really nice - right on the water with gorgeous views. The weather was perfect there too so we got to enjoy the beach and the sun! We managed to find the Irish bar in town that has the most hysterical owners - this little Italian couple...the man is absolutely nuts (you can tell from the photos) and his wife we liked to call "Mama" b/c any boys that came near us, she would try to scare away...if they weren't from her town, they were automatically bad news in Mama's eyes...so funny. Since we were in Sorrento, we decided to take a day trip to Capri - it was gorgeous...the water colors are crazy! We took a nice boat ride around the island and went into the infamous blue grotto - it was gorgeous, but it's only this one little area and it totally chaotic. Oh well, at least I can say I've seen it now! After Sorrento, we were planning on going to Rome but hadn't booked any hotels. Since we were enjoying the beach and small towns so much, we decided to take one more night and go to Positano. I went for Jenny's 30th 5 years ago and it was an absolute blast, so I was very happy to go back - especially when it was sunny and not raining everyday. It was of course just as beautiful as I remembered! The hotel was right on the side of the mountain and had a perfect view of the water and the mountains...I could have stayed there forever! Of course the first thing I did was ask the hotel to make us a reservation at La Tagliata - it's a restaurant high above the town that I have been to before and had one of my most favorite nights ever! I was a little afraid to go back b/c I didn't want anything to tarnish my memories...well, it did not disappoint!!! It was hysterical - there was a band and the whole place starts singing and dancing...so hard to explain (better stories in person) but it is really one of the greatest places on earth and worth the trip to Positano just to go there. I kept telling Lisa all of the fun stories from the last time we were there and it turned out to be just about the same...the waiter, Pepino (some of you know him from the stories Jenny and I tell :)) as usual started coming over with the huge bottle of limoncello and taking shots with us and his best friend...after many many shots and the restaurant being closed down with us being the only two people left, we sat outside with them, took more limoncello and grappe (aka death!!!) shots and they ended up driving us home on scooters through the hills....it was crazy and so much fun. Definitely one of the best moments of the trip and one of my most favorite nights ever!! There are so many more stories that I can't wait to tell you all in person, it's just hard to type them all :) I tried to condense the pics (we had over 600!!!), and just put the highlights of each place in there. I can't believe I'm over halfway...just about 6 weeks left! While I don't really want this adventure to ever end, I am really looking forward to seeing all of you and telling lots of stories over lots of wine. Miss you all!! xo

1 comment:

Caitlin Davis said...

The pictures are AMAZING! I can't believe you have so little time left, and still so much to see!

Hopefully the weather has warmed up in PT.
xoxo
cd